The Siperstein Challenge
Jason Siperstein Entrepreneurial Business Plan Competition
The Jason Siperstein Entrepreneurial Business Plan Competition is an annual competition that allows all undergraduate students from across Emory University to compete as entrepreneurs pitching a business plan to potential investors.
Greater consideration will be given to business plans that place an emphasis on social enterprise and the creation of social value. Social enterprise ventures may include non-profit, for-profit, or hybrid model business plans.
If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to present on-campus on Monday, March 19th, 2018. All finalist teams must arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the first presentation for the welcome and briefing. Business casual or professional dress is recommended.
1st Place: $2,000
2nd Place: $500
- Teams are limited to three members.
- Each team must have at least one upperclassman (junior or senior).
- Greater consideration will be given to business plans that place an emphasis on social enterprise and the creation of social value. Social enterprise ventures may include non-profit, for-profit, or hybrid model business plans.
- If you are selected as a finalist, you will be asked to present on Monday, March 19th, 2018.
- All finalist teams must arrive at least 20 minutes prior to the first presentation for the introduction of judges and briefing.
- Business casual or professional dress is recommended.
- Teams will be limited to 10 minutes to present their plan, followed by approximately 5 minutes of questions from the judges.
- Presentation formats may vary; handouts and/or PowerPoints are fine. If using a PowerPoint, it must be emailed to Kendra Owens (firstname.lastname@example.org) by 12:00PM one business day prior to the event.
- Judges will have hard copies of the executive summaries you have submitted prior to the competition. If you made changes, bring 5 copies of the new summary for the judges.
- You may bring up to 3 friends to the presentation for "moral support."
Individual/Team Registration Deadline: Sunday, February 25th,2018 at 11:59PM
1st Round of Judging: February 26th through March 1st
Finalists Announced: Friday, March 2nd by by 5:00PM
Finalists Workshop (Required): Tuesday, March 6th at 5:00PM
Finalists Presentations/Judging: Monday, March19th at 6:00PM
Note: This year the 1st place winner will gain automatic entry to the final round at the Entrepreneurship Summit to be held on April 4th and 5th, 2018.
Criteria for selecting the winning team will be based on the following eight items:
- Demonstration of emphasis on social entrepreneurship and/or the creation of social value
- Executive summary
- Clarity/potential of the market opportunity
- Ability to implement the plan
- Financing plan/rationality
- Strength of the team argument that their product/service will meet demand
- Overall evaluation of potential reward to risk
- Application of theory to practice
Robert W. Woodruff Library discoverE also offers a number of resources to assist you and your team in developing a comprehensive business plan: Business Plan Resources.