Career Discovery Days
Emory Connects: Career Discovery Days is a shadowing program designed to educate future leaders at Emory about the world of work. Employers, Emory alumni, parents, and friends volunteer to host one or several students for a day or half day in their workplace. Students will come prepared with questions, interest, and a desire to learn about your world of work.
Serving as a Career Discovery Days host is a great way to expose current students to your field and potentially connect you with future job candidates for your organization. However, please keep in mind the purpose of this program is to help students explore prospective career paths and some students may choose to pursue different career opportunities after shadowing you. Regardless of whether or not each student you host leaves with a desire to work for your organization in the future, our students are well connected and can help to spread the word about your opportunities to their networks on campus.
How will you benefit by participating?
- A great recruiting tool to identify candidates early in the recruiting process; most participants are first through third year students.
- Can help you build your brand at Emory; our students are well connected and will share with their peers what they learned from their experience. We encourage students to take pictures and share on social media what they learned, with employer permission.
- Help mentor an Emory student; many students may have misconceptions about what your work entails due to a lack of exposure to the career field.
- No cost - there is no charge for employers or students to participate in the program.
This program is offered each semester in the fall and spring. Shadowing experiences in the Fall typically occur December-January during the holiday break. Shadowing experiences in the Spring typically occur during April-May.
You will work directly with your student(s) to determine the shadowing date that best fits with your schedule. If you decide to host more than 1 student, we ask hosts to please select their shadowing date when they register to help ease the logistics of hosting multiple students.
We recommend employers host between 1 and 5 students per employer representative. We recommend that employers host no more than 5 students per employer due to previous student feedback indicating they prefer smaller groups to allow more one-on-one time for Q&A.
For example, if you would like to host 10 Emory students at your employer site, two representatives should help lead two smaller groups of five. If you plan on hosting more than 1 student at a time, employers must indicate on the host sign up form a specific day they would like to host. This will eliminate unnecessary back and forth with students trying to schedule a date.
You are welcome to conduct any activities with our students that would provide good insight into your organization and related career opportunities. The host and student will work directly together to determine the logistics of the event, including the time, date, duration, and directions.
A few recommended activities include:
- Overview of the company and career areas
- Opportunity for students to conduct informational interviews with a variety of employees
- Site visit and tour
- Opportunity to sit in on staff or client meetings
- Exposure to the typical work conducted in the field and perhaps the opportunity for students to participate in the work
|Full Day||Half Day|
9:00 a.m. Welcome & introductions with staff
1:00 p.m. Welcome & overview of the organization
SHADOWING IN HEALTHCARE
Due to HIPAA and other regulations and restrictions, a classic shadowing experience might not be possible for alumni hosts in the health profession.
We encourage alumni hosts in health fields to meet up with students for lunch or coffee instead. If you are able to travel to the Emory University main campus, we will work with each host to secure a space on campus to meet with students. You can still participate!
It is easy to sign up! Please visit the below link:
If you have questions about the program or need additional information, please contact the Emory Connects Career Discovery Days Committee at email@example.com.
Laura Garcia, Emory Career Center | Associate Director of Recruiting and External Relations
Sarah Baker, Emory Alumni Association | Assistant Director of Alumni Career Services
Daniel Ledford, Emory College of Arts and Sciences | Associate Director of Alumni Relations